Monday, February 9, 2009

Night Whispering and Giggling

I struggle with a "name" on this blog for my youngest child. He has been called "bundle of energy", "terrible twos", and "tazmanian devil". And all of these names are very fitting. But tonight, he is called the "night whisperer". When he has had a decent nap during the day, he is not always ready to go to bed. He will nurse for a few minutes (yes, he is 2.5 years and STILL nursing, and we are proud of that) and then I will ask him if he is ready to go to bed. He will tell us goodnight and I will lay him in his big boy bed. Usually he will whisper for a few minutes and then drift off to sleep. But tonight he must have a lot to say; he has been whispering and giggling in his bed for 51 minutes now. And Classic Middle Child is asleep in the same room, undisturbed! (He got this gene from his father.)
The World's Greatest Husband and I take turns going into the bedroom and telling the "whisperer" to be quiet and go to sleep. The last time I went in, I told him that we would talk tomorrow and no more talking tonight. His response: "Pwease, Mommy?"
Now you may wonder why I let him take a nap during the day if not taking a nap will ensure an early bedtime, which it does. Well, I have gone 'round and 'round on this one. And it comes down to the fact that I NEED him to take a nap during the day. We need that bit of rest, even if it means he will be up a bit later. There is always some kind of trade-off...

No comments: