Wednesday, April 30, 2008

First Born's Birthday gift--belated entry



The First Born's birthday was in Febuary, so this is a belated entry. For her birthday, she wanted some kind of reading chair. She LOVES to read; I don't know how many times I have to tell her to put down the book to do something else. Don't get me wrong, we love it that she has such a love of books and we do encourage her to read. So for her 7th birthday, instead of buying a "reading chair" made of mystery particles and made in a factory where the workers may not earn a fair wage, I decided to make a "bean bag" chair. Technically it has no beans, but for lack of a better term....I went to the local recycling center and purchased a huge amount of foam pieces and cotton batting. The cover is made of new fabric, but the stuffing is all from upcycled materials. She, as well as Classic Middle Child and Bundle of Energy love it. Classic Middle Child now wants one for his 5th birthday, in July.

No comments: